Monday, February 13, 2012

DECORATIONS FOR A BRIDAL SHOWER-HOW TO MAKE MY BIG FAT FAUX WEDDING/ANNIVERSARY CAKE




The same base was used in all 3 versions above. The centerpiece stores easily by putting smaller layers inside larger along with the decorations. This could be a great package for a party planner.

The idea for a 3' [or whatever size it would become] plus wedding cake centerpiece popped into my consciousness at a time when I was so busy with other projects that had to be finished, I couldn't just drop them like I have a tendency of doing. Am I the only one who jumps to the next idea before completing the present one?   I get so enthralled with a new design that I absolutely have to work on it. I guess I have the attention span of a two year old-my great grandchildren are older than that.

So after Christmas, after gifts were finished and wrapped, after all other holiday musts were taken care of, finally, I could see if a plastic canvas wedding cake would work and be as spectacular as my thoughts. It kinda, sorta is though the three versions shown above are not the original creation I started with. There are at least two more versions roaming around with all the other have tos in my mind [what about a Christmas theme with poinsetias or change out the cake topper or, or, or]. Of course, since I know the idea works, they are on a back burner now. I love the idea that the same base can be used for all themes-just change out the florals, the ribbons, the bling.   
  
Why in the world would a bridal shower centerpiece get mixed in with all the children's paraphernalia, quilting and craft things I was in the middle of? I don't have a clue. No one is getting married, there are no showers to decorate for. It has nothing to do with anything in my life right now. Just one of those quirky, off the wall creations that makes its way to my "to do" list, then pushes its way to the top of the list and insists on being created right now ahead of everything else.
Here are parts 1 & 2  video tutorials for constructing the centerpiece. A printable version is also available on www.FaveCrafts.com @ http://www.favecrafts.com/Wedding-Crafts.

Part one takes you through building the basic three tier structure with plastic canvas then covering with bridal satin.

The cake topper made of a craft doll with satin gown, tulle veil and corsage is covered in part two along with two other versions for the centerpiece.


If a bridal shower is in your future plans, "My Big Fat Faux Wedding Cake" may be just the thing you need.   To make a smaller center piece, adjust to the size needed. Even the larger version is fairly quick and easy to put together and very economical.

I enjoyed putting this together and love that it is as eye catching as expected.
Thank you for joining me here
God bless you
Carolyn Wainscott
-------------------------------------------
check out my quilt/craft & clothing for your American Girl designs in My Pattern Store 
@
http://www.craftsy.com/user/pattern/store/43851

Reversible Hoodie pattern for American Girl dolls
video tutorial 
@ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWVcE3u7ydU 

Reversible Circle Poodle Skirt Pattern
video tutorial @
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXGcm_QSnsQ

Victorian Christmas Stocking Pattern
video tutorial @
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_kMAXPO5_s

Craftsy offers online classes that you can take at your own convenience from some of the top instructors in their field whether you are interested in crocheting, quilting, sewing, knitting, cake decorating, etc.,etc., etc.



2 comments:

  1. This is a beautiful wedding cake centerpiece! Absolutely gorgeous! Thanks for the videos!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi again, Julie and thanks again. So glad you enjoy and thanks for letting me know. Keep in touch and if you wish to share any of your arts and crafts you can share on my facebook page:Carolyn's Canvas.

    ReplyDelete