Monday, April 4, 2016

SPIRIT OF LIBERTY-My 9/11 Inspired Quilt

5 years ago I received an email with almost 80 photos of 9/11 that I saved into a folder because I knew at some point there would be a quilt-and January this year became the time. I envisioned the quilt from the time I received the photos and it was built just as my first thoughts. 

The quilt was to portray the attack on the twin towers with the Statue of Liberty looking on from the harbor surrounded by silhouettes of some of America's heroes. 

The quilt is in mixed media and I plan on sharing the techniques: enlarging a photo, transferring/tracing to fabric, painting fabric, applique, free motion quilting. 

I am very pleased with the way "Spirit Of Liberty" turned out. It is 80" by 50". 


The pattern was created from outline drawings of photos, enlarging the drawings then transferring/tracing the drawings to fabric to be painted onto fabric. 


After painting was done it was free motion quilted.
The border was drawn and enlarged as the whole cloth. It is also one piece. All techniques will be shared in future posts.


The smoke is hand dyed wool roving that gives the piece a 3D effect.










As the quilt top was nearing completion, the back started to become more important and evolved from just the collector fabric that has been squirreled away among my "special" fabrics that are so special they may never be used to a quilt in its own right but continuing the story. The fabric was released just after 9/11 with images of the firemen raising the flag from the carnage on a red, white and blue stripe. The fabric has been in my stash since it came out just waiting for this quilt-before it was ever thought of. 

I loved being able to create this quilt.

May the joy of crafting be upon you
Carolyn Wainscott 

"Spirit Of Liberty" -the back-the story continues----------- 

No comments:

Post a Comment