Thursday, October 20, 2011

MY PROJECT LINUS QUILT

The Project Linus  has donated almost 4,000,000 quilts and blankets to needy children and has almost 400 chapters. I have heard about Project Linus along the way but had never thought seriously about looking into it since my life is like most other people's, very busy with every day.  Maybe a fleeting thought of putting something together for the project, sometime, when the time is right, when there is nothing else to do-right!

Then the craft site, Craftsy, that I visit online put out a call for donations that could be given to Project Linus for needy children. Craftsy is trying to collect 1000 quilts by December-plus 1000 hats. I went online to research Project Linus and found just how much good had been spread by the organization. That is where the 4,000,000 figure came from-isn't that astounding?

Now, I have made many quilts for children in jeopardy on an as need basis when the call comes in and when I saw some of the photos on the site of children receiving quilts made especially for them by loving hands, I knew since there was never going to be a just right time when there is nothing else to do.

So in the middle of making things for Christmas for great granchildren [who are blessedly all in good health!!!], my Linus Quilt needed to be done. How much easier could it be? Craftsy provided us with an address to send our quilts and they will even deliver them for us. Good job, Craftsy! I hope we reach the 1000 quilts and hats.

The 1000 hat request was put out first and since I was already crocheting, whipped up some hats to send. Then came the 1000 quilt announcement.

So, if you would like to help these ventures here is the Craftsy address:

Keep A Kid Warm
c/o Sympoz Inc.
1553 Platte #202
Denver, Co. 80202
or
go to the Project Linus website. You may want to become involved in a local chapter if there is one near you. If you need any ideas or patterns, they are provided on the site.

Here is my Linus quilt:

 The angel fabric I had kept squirreled away for a special project was brought out.  The Linus Project children are so special, they deserve the best.

The feather fabric was chosen for the back to coordinate with the angel fabric. One of my favorite Bible verses is Psalm 91:4-He shall cover thee with his feathers, and under his wings shall thou trust; his truth shall be thy shield and buckler.

I always put a pocket on the back of every child's quilt that will hold a book or little soft toy. As soon as I get the pocket on this quilt and find the right book, it will be wrapped up with the hats and sent off to Craftsy.

Here are the little hats I made:




There are also several scarves that will be included in the package.
-------------------------------
The Linus quilt was made in a quilt-as-you-go method shown in the video:


The video along with complete instructions can also be seen @ http://www.FaveQuilts.com/Tips/Techniques. While you are there, check out other patterns, tutorials and videos that can be used for your project.

God bless you
Carolyn Wainscott

No comments:

Post a Comment