Friday, April 13, 2012

Take A Photo-Put It On Fabric

If you have been thinking about taking those treasured old photos and making a Memory Quilt, I hope this will make the thought less daunting and help you get started. Getting started is the hardest part.  Don't let the thought of a few more steps in preparation stop you. Just think of the end result-a one of a kind, spectacular, instant heirloom that tells its own story. I think the most fun part is going through the photos, It is a trip down memory lane.

Needing to come up with a wedding/house warming gift had me dragging out the equipment for a wallhanging. I don't want to make it sound as though it is drudge work so am sharing the step by step in the following video which is featured on:

FaveQuilts.com

 @  http://www.favequilts.com/Special-Occasion-Quilts/How-to-Make-a-Photo-Quilt-Part-1-Preparing-Fabric which includes a printable set of instructions @ http://youtu.be/34QJzZ8ymZk.
An earlier post on April 22, 2011, http://carolynscanvas.blogspot.com/2011/04/making-photo-quilt.html , featured multi-generation family quilts that were a collaboration of whole families sharing their photos with the complete process also.

I never got around to the actual photo printing which is coming up, I promise.


I am not a computer wizard, far, far from it but I will be touching on cutting, pasting, and collaging my photos to be printed on fabric. I use an old, outdated program that is no longer available because I haven't taken the time to learn Photoshop. I am old and set in my ways.

Just a further word [well, several words] about www.FaveQuilts.com, if you haven't checked it out already. FaveQuilts is a great site for free quilt patterns, instructions, video tutorials and links you to everything you want to know in the quilt world.

Happy quilting and God bless you
Carolyn Wainscott