Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Recycling Lamps Into Gorgeous Candle Holders

The lead crystal lamp on the back wall shelf called to me but maybe not quite loud enough because I walked out of the Goodwill store without it.  It kind of whispered "Yoohoo! You can make me into a beautiful candle holder". But it kept calling to me even almost 100 miles away so I called my sister who had been with me and asked her to rush back and rescue the lamp for me. Not only did she get the lead crystal lamp, she also picked up another that looked interesting with a completely different feel. 

It took a couple of weeks for us to connect  and in that time I cruised through my local Goodwill [no, I don't live there] to maybe pick up some other lamps since I had hit that line of thinking. There were no more lamps of interest but there were some candy dishes and other little cut glass serving pieces that just might be usable.

In the utility room there were also 2 votive candle holders that had been purchased years ago at a yard sale that had been long forgotten but remembered just in time to bring out to be auditioned with the other pieces. 

The lamps have to be taken completely apart starting with cutting off the plug so the cord can be squirreled out from bottom to top. There will probably be some washers and such to unscrew along with the knob to turn the lamp on and off. All of this still only takes a few minutes so take another look at that lamp you are about to throw away and think of the possibilities.

Now the fun begins with building your candle holder-are any of the other pieces even going to look alright? Is there enough flat surface for a good bond?

A good, strong adhesive was used with a dab or two of hot glue for an instant hold til the adhesive took hold  and in a few minutes, VOILA-a beautiful candle holder. 

Since it had taken such a short time to make the lead crystal candle holder, I went ahead and took the other lamp apart to see what could be done with it. I decided to paint the wood piece white and further distress it since it was not in the best of condition. The original base was spray painted with a copper spray paint. 

The deep amber votive candle holder purchased with some other pieces seemed to suit the vintage feel of the candle holder to a "T". 
2 Goodwill lamps-BEFORE-

-AFTER-


Here is a step by step video in the whole process


I think these would be very eye catching on the buffet of even the most formal gathering. What about in the entry? Each is a one of a kind that looks great alone or arranged among other items.

If you haven't checked out www.Craftsy.com, let your fingers run, not walk to that haven for crafters.

The project room at Craftsy allows us to share our latest creation to an audience of thousands every day-kind of show and tell whether it be crocheted, sewn,  knitted, painted, beaded, quilted, etc. Each crafter's  own area has his or her handiwork displayed for others to view.

There are online classes offered by some of the top instructors in each field. Classes that can be taken at the convenience of the student. Think about that hard to buy for crafter that has everything or how about gifting yourself or telling Santa.

My Pattern Store @ www.Craftsy.com makes available the opportunity for us designers to showcase our designs in pattern form. I don't know who came up with this idea but I am absolutely excited about it. While we are on that subject, check out my quick and easy patterns for American Girl and other 18" dolls and my quilt patterns @ http://www.craftsy.com/user/43851/pattern-store. I provide step by step videos to help the beginner sewist if needed.

Soooo-if you want to learn a new craft, show off your creations or just like to look at handcrafted  works of art, join us @ Craftsy.

God bless you and happy crafting.














If you decide to recycle a lamp into a candle holder or anything else, please come back and share with us. I would love to see it.
Happy crafting
Carolyn Wainscott

No comments:

Post a Comment