Wednesday, October 10, 2012

WALK A MILE IN HIS SHOES-GAVIN'S JOURNEY

Aggravating thoughts-that is what I got up with this morning. Things are just not as they should/could be.The furnace won't come on, going to have to call someone, again, and it's cold in the house. All those projects I need to get done are no where near completion because my sewing machine decided it just doesn't want to sew with that thread on that material so everything takes 3 of 4 times as long as planned [the best laid plans, you know]. The dishwasher and washing machine didn't load themselves again so I have to do the laundry and clean the kitchen.  I have to pay some bills, ugh!
 
Before I go into the sewing room for the day to try and finish what should have been done yesterday, the computer is turned on to read my mail and check Facebook to see what family and friends did last night.  This social network is a boone and a bust for me. During times of extreme emergencies when I could not be there, it has been a boone to keep me up-to-date on the critical condition of several in our family.  Other times, it is a bust because of the time wasted instead of doing what needs to be done.
 
There on my wall is an update of 3 year old, Gavin, who was diagnosed with leukemia several months ago. Today GAVIN'S JOURNEY has taken him through a painful spinal tap and he is resting right now. When he wakes up, he will get to go home. My day is put into perspective-the house is not as cool as I thought and I can put on a sweater, those are just broken threads for crying out loud-not a broken little body, I am blessed to have clothes & dishes to wash and machines to clean them in and money to pay my bills with. LORD, forgive me.
 GAVIN'S JOURNEY takes us through the times that his platelets are too low for the week's treatment and then through the days he can withstand his injections. Then we get a ray of sunshine when Gavin feels well and is playing-just a common ordinary 3 year old's day. Those are the ones we like to see.
 
I don't know Gavin or his parents but that beautiful little face smiling at me from one of my family's "shares" tugged at my heart. Gavin's mom & dad graduated with several of my niece's and nephews and the request for prayer was sent out at the leukemia diagnosis or I wouldn't know anything about this precious little boy.

A prayer request, sure, that is the least I can do. I am so thankful that my children, grandchildren and great, grandchildren are all healthy and doing well-what if it were one of my own. Wouldn't I want prayers for them? In fact, in several critical situations, my family has done the same-requested prayers from the Facebook community and they have come through so how can I not do the same for another.

For Gavin, my prayers went into a quilt for him as for other children in jeopardy. Prayers go into each stitch to cover him with, prayers for healing, prayers that he will be pain free, prayers for his family as they travel this journey with him.

Yes, Gavin needed a quilt so I went to the box that holds the fabics reserved for my prayer quilts and lo, and behold, there was one already partially done. I had pulled some blocks from another box but this discovery was the one. This is for Gavin. The rest of the day was spent finishing the quilt top and then quilting it with stitched prayers.

A pocket is sewn onto the back of the quilts for the child to put special things to keep close by as they go through treatments. I try to keep books for the pocket but didn't have the exact thing I wanted so took a shopping trip. I found something for Gavin plus another couple of books for the next prayer quilt-just in case another little face peaks out at me.

Here's Gavin's quilt with it's treasure pocket:


No, it will never win a blue ribbon in a quilt contest but a smile of approval from Gavin is the greatest award there is. I met Gavin's grandmother when I took the quilt to her office so she could get it to him. [I am terrible at mailing things so that is the quickest way] Being a grandmother, my heart goes out to her also.

Jesus said 18 Verily I say unto you, Whatsoever ye shall bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever ye shall loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven. 19 Again I say unto you, That if two of you shall agree on earth as touching any thing that they shall ask, it shall be done for them of my Father which is in heaven. 20 For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.
Matt 18:18-20

So even though we cannot all be together physically, let's gather in prayer for Gavin.

God bless all of you
Carolyn Wainscott

 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment