Thursday, October 4, 2012

HOW TO FINISH A QUILT WITH CORDING

Finally, Finally-
the serger and I are almost seeing eye to eye, the long arm quilter has been serviced and working great
AND
the Dresden Quilt I started months ago is done. A 2 part video tutorial can be seen on FaveQuilts.com
 @
 http://www.favequilts.com/Techniques-and-Videos/Video-Tutorial-How-to-Make-a-Dresden-Plate-Quilt/ct/1
for instructions and tips on putting the quilt top together.
I had a great coordinated set of fabrics that had been in my stash for some time that included a border print just waiting for the right project and this was it. I enlarged this pattern years ago because I would rather make one of something than 30 or 40-I call it my short attention span way of quilting. I'll be sharing some others along the way.
The rosy pink background did have to be purchased to set off the prints. There is cording all around the Dresden also that is covered with a [miracle of all miracles] bias burgundy that was also in my inner sanctum of squirreled away treasures. It is a near perfect match for the burgundies in the prints and adds just enough embellishment to the quilt with all the machine quilting and the center focus.
That is another subject that I will tell you about later. It has fussy cut florals from several different prints that compliment the main fabrics in a stylized basket. Those fabrics were felted with my felting machine then a little thread work done on top. Like I said-that is a subject all to itself and I loved doing it-it is a good accent to the quilt. It was started along with the quilt but layed aside with a lot of other things until I could get to them.
The back of the quilt is pieced from large pieces of the prints-makes for a very interesting back-surely not boring by any means. It actually came about by how a lot of other things come about-by necessity. There was no more of the rose fabric, not enough of the prints to make a large enough back and no other fabric in the go tos so just started throwing pieces together. I'll take a photo when I get the matching dresden plate pillow scarf done. It is like everything else-started, almost finished-plan on working on it next week [or maybe the week after-then it becomes months, sometimes years]
Instead of the traditional quilt binding, I decided to finish the Dresden with cording to match what was already around the center and Dresden petals. There is a little different method to apply cording from finishing with binding. Cording is sewn to the quilt top before quilting. It is easier to maneuver the quilt top than the whole quilt.
Fold fabric over the cording, match raw edges of the quilt top with raw edges of cording fabric and sew to the right side of the top. Rounding the corners a little makes it a little easier also so the cording lays better.
If this is as clear as mud, here is my video that shows the entire process.
Now the quilt sandwich is put together and quilted. Leave at least 1/2" unquilted all around the edge of the quilt. Trim the batting to match the cording seam on the quilt top, trim the quilt back leaving at least 1/2" outside the cording all around. Turn the 1/2" in left on the back and either hand or machine stitch to close.
The short attention span Dresden Plate pattern is available in my pattern store on Craftsy
@
  http://www.craftsy.com/user/43851/pattern-store

 It is ready to download and print in pdf format. I've been tracked down for the pattern so decided to get it up and going. I am getting ready to try it for a Christmas Tree Skirt and one gal was going to make table covers. Just may try that also to match the tree skirt. mmmhhhmmm-maybe a skirt for myself.

For other ideas, classes, workshops and patterns check out www.Craftsy.com:
If you have any ideas, questions or comments let me know. I would be glad to hear from you.
God bless you and happy crafting
Carolyn Wainscott
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


No comments:

Post a Comment