Friday, April 20, 2012

The Wedding Photo Wallhanging-Easy To Do

The special wedding gift I had wanted to do is finally done-not that it was so hard to do or took so much time or so costly. None of that. Just doing it-that's all.

The fabric sheets were prepared first [there was some fabric I had already done that I forgot about]. All I had to do was cut to size and iron to freezer paper. You can purchase fabric sheets if you wish. I prefer to use fabric I have prepared. See
 http://carolynscanvas.blogspot.com/2012/04/take-photo-put-it-on-fabric.html 

 for step by step instructions on preparing your own fabric sheets for photo printing.

Photos from the wedding were chosen, put into a file so they would be easier to find and collaged to tell the story with my antiquated software that I just can't give up because I am comfortable with it and hate to change. I haven't taken the time to learn how to use my Photoshop software and probably won't until my LivePix is completely incapacitated for some reason. I am not of this computer wise generation that hops from one new app to another. Shoot-my grandkids think I gas up my dinosaur on grass clippings.

Anyway, I've come a long way, baby.

Now that you have your fabric sheets ready it is time to print. I hope this video  on:

FaveQuilts.com

@ http://youtu.be/hCukdzeSzLs helps you get that photo quilt done that you have been planning but just needed a little encouragement.

Soooooo,  photos were printed,





all sewn together, border on, machine quilted, binding on

but it just didn't look as right as I wanted. The border print was off a couple of shades. It needed to be more mauve
and though it doesn't show here the difference [the top center is the original print], I over painted the fabric with a rose dye paint and embellished with a gold metalic paint

but this still wasn't quite enough

 the hot stone setter came out to add some quick bling.

It took a little nerve to be painting on a completed quilt but I did it! What if I had dripped some paint on the fabric, what if, heaven forbid, I had tipped over the jar of paint after all that work. Well, I didn't and everything turned out ok. The wallhanging is ready to give to the bride and groom-I don't think they have celebrated their 10th anniversary yet.

If you have been planning a photo quilt but didn't know where to start, here is where you start-the rest is up to you-enjoy.

Here is another post I wrote about a year ago with more instructions on preparing fabric for photo printing:
http://carolynscanvas.blogspot.com/2011/04/making-photo-quilt.html

God bless you
Carolyn Wainscott


No comments:

Post a Comment